Thursday 27 October 2011

MAC - Matchmaster Foundation


I've been trying out the new Matchmaster foundation from MAC over the last few weeks. I've left it for a while before reviewing so I could get a better idea of how it performs over time.




Shade 1.0 is the colour I went for. The first thing to note is that it's pale; if other MAC foundations have proven to be too dark, you may well find a good match with this shade. It isn't overly pink, either, the tones run more to the neutral side.

Left - Matchmaster, Right - Pro-Longwear

Although there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in the picture, Matchmaster is paler & less peachy-toned than the Pro-Longwear (the shade shown is NC15, for reference).


As far as texture goes, it isn't overly runny, yet it isn't quite as thick as the Pro-Longwear. This means you get more time to blend than you do with the Pro-Longwear.
On the skin, it feels pretty much weightless, Matchmaster is definitely the lightest-feeling MAC foundation I've tried.

It's not touted as being longwearing, but I found Matchmaster to stay in place longer than Pro-Longwear. This may have something to do with the way it seems to keep the oilies at bay, which it does really well. Usually, I have to blot two or three times, with Matchmaster, I can get away with blotting once. On average, I can get around 11 to 12 hours of wear from this foundation. By that point, it doesn't look quite as pristine as it did upon initial application, yet it hasn't turned into a patchy, cakey mess.
It holds up well on a hot night out too, it gets a little glowy-looking after a while but it resists turning into a full-on shine.

Unlike Studio Fix Fluid, Matchmaster isn't totally matte, it has a natural skin-type glow. Since I suffer from an oily t-zone, I do set it with powder. I haven't found it to break me out at all, nor does it dry my skin out, a problem that occurred with SFF.

One problem I have discovered is that it looks very, very white in pictures, although I suspect the primer I used may also have contributed to that particular issue. When I wore it last night, it looked incredibly pale, but  today, it looks just fine. Once again, that may well be due to the primer & powder combo I used with it.

Apart from that little problem, I've been very impressed with the way Matchmaster performs. For my daily foundation, I'm torn between this & Illamasqua's Skin Base, although Matchmaster lasts longer on my skin. Would I repurchase? Unless something else comes along that piques my interest & proves be to better still, then yes, I would happily repurchase.






No comments:

Post a Comment